PRESS RELEASE: Monday 21 May 2018

As most of you know, La Mama was extensively damaged by fire in the early hours of Saturday morning. This is, of course, a great sadness to us all.

We would like to express our deepest gratitude to everybody who came on Saturday or reached out to us by phone and text, by email, social media or by word of mouth to send love and commitment and offer time and resources.

Thank you to our wonderful staff, committee and all the Carlton community for their support, to all the arts and non-arts organisations, to our funders, our audience, to all our community. So many people reached out. We feel such love that assists us greatly in moving forward with optimism and energy.

To our relief, nobody was injured in the unforeseen electrical fire, there is no suspicion of arson. While there is considerable damage, this has become a restoration project. We will retain as much of the historic structure of the building as possible.

There is a lot to do. The staff came together this morning, sharing the load and making a plan forward, taking one step at a time. And it will take time. We will be keeping the community informed as we work things out, but La Mama will continue, and our future is bright.

As far as possible, it is our intention that all productions in our Autumn season will proceed with changes of venues and times expected. This information will be available shortly on our website and social media. We will be making plans beyond that in the coming days, weeks and months. Thank you in advance for your patience.

We loved our building on Faraday Street, but La Mama is more than a building, and despite our devastation her spirit is strong. Together with our artists, staff and community we will move with strength into the next 50 years and beyond.

In achieving this we will need support and we will be asking for help. For now, hold tight, take care lovely community and THANK YOU for helping us move on with joy and hope.

Love.

Liz and Caitlin.


You can support La Mama:

 HERE


Media:

La Mama Theatre gutted by fire: sector shocked By Richard Watts, Arts Hub, 19 May 2018

Electrical fault identified as cause of La Mama blaze By Richard Watts, Arts Hub, 21 May 2018

ABC Radio National: The Hub on Stage, Fire at Melbourne’s La Mama Theatre presented by Michael Cathcart: LISTEN, Monday 21 May 2018.